Saturday, October 12, 2013

Bill Clinton Becomes a Vegan

Photo of Bill Clinton

Pol Light Moment #67 is when Bill Clinton made public his decision to become a Vegan on August 18, 2011.  Bill Clinton was the 42nd President of the United States and served from 1993-2001. He also served as the Governor of Arkansas from 1983-1992. A Vegan is a person who doesn't eat meat or fish or anything made from animals, such as dairy or eggs.

The following is a video of Bill Clinton talking about his vegan diet.




Bill Clinton described his diet this way: "I went on essentially a plant-based diet. I live on beans, legumes, vegetables, fruits... I drink a protein supplement every morning, no dairy, I drink almond milk mixed in with fruit, and a protein powder. It changed my whole metabolism and I lost 24 pounds, and I got back to basically what I weighed in high school (The Bill Clinton Diet)."

Clinton's journey with the Vegan lifestyle was precipitated by surgery for heart disease in 2004 and the desire to lose weight for his daughter Chelsea's wedding in the Summer of 2010. Regarding the reason he became a Vegan, Bill Clinton said, "I just decided that I was the high-risk person, and I didn't want to fool with this anymore. And I wanted to live to be a grandfather. So I decided to pick the diet that I thought would maximize my chances of long-term survival (Bill Clinton Reveals How He Became a Vegan, AARP)."

More Information: You can find more information on the Vegan diet that Bill Clinton follows at these pages on the Internet: 
Quote Light: Bill Clinton has a page on the Quote Light blog.

Bill Clinton has been featured in other Pol Light moments and can be found by searching this blog with the Bill Clinton Label.

Pol Light does not endorse political candidates. We present a brighter side to politics when they are found on either side of the aisle. We don't have to agree with all of a person's politics to recognize these bright moments.

The photo of Bill Clinton is in the public domain.

No comments:

Post a Comment